Supporting apprentices throughout training
Siemens Digital Factory Process Industries and Drives (DF PD) offer support to their apprentices throughout their training, to make them feel involved and part of the organisation.
What we did.
Senior management visit to provide an introduction and help the apprentices feel welcome and supported. It helps that the Brian Holiday, Head of our Digital Factory business, started as an apprentice, and he likes to attend every year.
Others areas we support in include:
- The apprentices have their IT set up so they can access their Siemens DF PD communications and social networks while in full time college.
- In addition, there are reviews every 12 weeks where we set and monitor their targets, and ask for their feedback and thoughts.
- We also ask the apprentices to come back to attend and support STEM outreach and recruitment events.
- We celebrate every success and publish these on the local internal networks to raise the profile of the new apprentices.
- The team return to the workplace during college holidays, and spend their time shadowing the more senior apprentices to help them to get to know the faces in the team.
- By Easter, the apprentices know where their placements will start (Siemens DF PD rotate placements) so can get to know the area they will initially be working in before they start.